Sunday, December 11, 2011

Day 61 - Dannok to Ipoh

Feel must better today. Checked out of hotel at 12pm and to my horror, there is a huge jam at the border checkpoint. Wasted 1 hour clearing both checkpoints and I'm on my way again.

it's been a long while since I've been on the NSHW. Along the way, I saw the sign board which points the way to langkawi so I thought I'll make a detour to check it out.

Rode about 12pm to the jetty and there's a huge jam there too. Decided to stick to original plan and proceed to Penang as the weather don't seem happy today and it's no fun being on an island when it rains. But not before I gather some information about the ferry crossing.

Proceeded southwards on route 1 towards butterworth. Reached the ferry terminal at 4pm. The toll charged for a motorbike is RM2. It took about 20 minutes for the ferry to cross from the mainland over to Penang.

By 4.45pm, I was in Penang. However, things are not so rosy as it seems. Most of the hotels are fully booked and I'm not able to secure suitable affordable accomodation for the night.

At 6pm, after hearing 'fully booked' one too many times, I made the very very painful decision (for my appetite) to abort mission and head back to mainland as it looks like it's gonna rain anytime in Penang but sunny on the mainland. This time I rode back over causeway bridge. I find it so easy to press the 'quit button' when things are not in my favor. ^^

I assumed my adventure had ended the moment I touched down in Hatyai, but it was not to be. There is to be night riding tonight and onward I shall ride. Next break was KFC at Semongol for dinner. Time is 7.30pm and the sky is already dark. I'm tired and hungry.

I thought of climbing up Cameron highlands at night but the thought of another 'no more rooms rejection' made me give up the idea. Finally checked in to 'Good times hotel' in Ipoh at RM70 at 11pm. I was really tempted to go all the way to KL as I wasn't feeling tired but it wouldn't make any sense arriving in KL at 2am. So Ipoh it is. Hope the day doesn't get any worse.

12am went out to explore Ipoh town at night. Initially intended to go out for drinks but decided against it as I was feeling kinda down now as I had a lousy day. Ended up I bought Mac and went back to my room to watch soccer. Let's hope tomorrow will br a better day.

No comments:

Post a Comment